Well off is the new poor(thanks television!)

More frightening reasons why screens are taking over our personalities.
Shakedown1980

Well off is the new poor(thanks television!)

Post by Shakedown1980 » Tue May 30, 2006 7:10 am

The pressure to emulate the lifestyles of the super-rich has left Britain's middle classes suffering from 'luxury fever', according to a new study.
"In earlier eras people set their aspirations for their standard of living by their own social class, and the people around them.

"Television, and other media, has broken down those barriers, and people are increasingly setting their aspirations by people who lead a luxurious life."
To read the rest of the article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3083448.stm
Last edited by TerryS on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: copyright

bfermanich2

Post by bfermanich2 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:42 pm

Good article, although I wouldn't blame middle class tax cuts for people getting in debt and striving to live beyond their means. The choice to live beyond your means is a personal choice and is hardly ever imposed on you. You have a choice not to spend your money. Tax cuts give more money to the people, but more money doesn't necessarily automatically make people want to get into major debt. The root of the problem isn't class victimization. The problem exists within the individual. Its about personal responsibility and money management. Money doesn't make people greedy, but it does make it easier to become greedy when you have more money. So try not to put the cart before the horse. What you're talking about here is middle class victim mentality. Nobody is to blame but themselves for spending foolishly. Of course the TV shows are marketing them like crazy to buy their products, but all you have to do is turn off the box. Amazing how one simple thing can make life SO much easier.

Shakedown1980

Post by Shakedown1980 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:53 am

bfermanich2 wrote:Good article, although I wouldn't blame middle class tax cuts for people getting in debt and striving to live beyond their means. The choice to live beyond your means is a personal choice and is hardly ever imposed on you. You have a choice not to spend your money. Tax cuts give more money to the people, but more money doesn't necessarily automatically make people want to get into major debt. The root of the problem isn't class victimization. The problem exists within the individual. Its about personal responsibility and money management. Money doesn't make people greedy, but it does make it easier to become greedy when you have more money. So try not to put the cart before the horse. What you're talking about here is middle class victim mentality. Nobody is to blame but themselves for spending foolishly. Of course the TV shows are marketing them like crazy to buy their products, but all you have to do is turn off the box. Amazing how one simple thing can make life SO much easier.
Hey,

Turning off the TV does make life SO much easier and better :-) I don't really agree that it's all their fault,because i don't think majority of the people who are influenced this way by television realisese or have the information on what it is doing to them,on the other hand the advertisers know exactly what it's doing to people.So there lies their responsibility,they create very persuing advertising,and play it million times,knowing very well how it will affect people,but they do not care,they just want to sell,sell and sell.

and just like propaganda nothing is coerced on you,but you are still being controlled,invisibily that you think,it's me who has chosen to behave in this way,when after all it's the television which is doing this to people.

I don't think it's a case of victim mentality either,because people don't realise they ARE VICTIMS to marketing,if they did(the most common asnwer is "marketing dosen't affect me,i'm cynical and skeptical,but yes it affects everyone else"),I'm going to assume they would not watch as much television as they do now.

bfermanich2

Post by bfermanich2 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:05 am

^^ fair enough :D