Refugee from Facebook questions the social media life

Is the information age unleashing the Panopticon or unlocking the Doors of Perception?
Gutenberg

Post by Gutenberg » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:31 pm

"She was Facebook's 51st employee and became Mark Zuckerberg's ghostwriter. But Katherine Losse came to question how technology burrows into our lives."

"Not long after Katherine Losse left her Silicon Valley career and moved to this West Texas town for its artsy vibe and crisp desert air, she decided to make friends the old-fashioned way, in person. So she went to her Facebook page and, with a series of keystrokes, shut it off."

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

JuniorMan

Re: Refugee from Facebook questions the social media life

Post by JuniorMan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:30 pm

I absolutely hate facebook for what it has done to everyone's lives.

I've ran into many old friends I went to school with, "oh Hi!" and that's followed by being denied a phone number "I'm on facebook, just add me so we can talk!" My own mother constantly begs me to make a facebook account everytime I go over there so I can look at people I went to school with who I most likely haven't seen in over 10 years and don't plan on looking at them again.

What happened to going out and having fun?

What happened to calling each other on the telephone to hear that person's voice and talk about the day?

I will never make a Facebook account...also zero privacy, I don't want everyone to know what I do, and don't need to know what everyone is doing 24/7.