The cable guy

Breaking free of the Box.

The cable guy

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:18 pm

T'other day, I finally got my wish.

I was visited, right there at my front door, by a living, in-person salesdroid who was hoping to sell me on cable TV.

The last such, and there has only been one other, was several years ago. I think I used the wrong tactics with him. I was too matter-of-fact, too dispassionate. Ever since, I've wanted another cable TV salesperson to knock on my door so that I could try again. So, now I was able to try again.

I was in a good mood anyway, so it wasn't hard. The doorbell rang, and I opened the door, and the man started his cable TV pitch. I knew what to do. I immediately put on my brightest, most astonishingly cheerful, biggest, most wonderful smile, and exclaimed with bursting cheer and right good fellowship: "TV? TV! Why, I got rid of the TV seven years ago! Best thing I've ever done for myself! Really. I've been so much better since I got rid of the TV, I mean mentally and physically... feel GREAT!" And rattled on, beaming the while, all smiles, about the marvels of eliminating TV.

The cable TV salesdroid was taken aback at first. He looked confused. Finally, he asked me what I did in place of watching TV. I listed many exciting activities. He thought about it. Then, he confessed that he didn't watch much TV himself, only "one or two hours," and affirmed his participation in a couple of outdoor sports. I congratulated him on his sports, and recommended that he might try just a little bit more and push those one or two remaining TV hours of his into oblivion, and if he did, then someday soon he'd be congratulating himself for doing so. He then mumbled something inaudible and wandered off.

Ahhhh. The joys of selling no-TV to TV salespeople! Feels good.

Lester in Riverside, CA

TerryS

Re: The cable guy

Post by TerryS » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:35 am

Ha! That is a great story!

Gutenberg

Re: The cable guy

Post by Gutenberg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:52 pm

Believe it or not, but I've had a few really good conversations with telemarketing people that want to sell me satellite TV packages. It is usually young people who are employed at these call centres, and some get really interested when they hear that you don't watch television. I especially remember one instance where I chatted to this youth about this issue for nearly half an hour. Finally he had to hang up, apparently because one of his managers started to give him ugly looks...

And yes, quite a few of these guys get profoundly surprised when they learn you don't watch television.