How TV Pacifies Us and Subverts Democracy

Breaking free of the Box.
TerryS

Post by TerryS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:24 am

Bruce Levine has done an excellent job writing an overview of the problems with TV. I especially appreciate his points about TV being used as a pacifier for inmates and patients.

Parents also appreciate the pacifying effects of TV, which is why kids spend more time watching TV than they do in school. How TV effects viewers (cognitively, socially and physically) really is an important issue that is all too often neglected, so it was heartening to read his article in Alternet.org, Salon.com and brucelenine.net.

http://www.alternet.org/culture/does-tv ... -authority

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/30/does_tv ... americans/

http://brucelevine.net/how-tv-zombifies ... democracy/

Here are a few highlights:

TV as Pacifier
“In 1992, Newsweek (“Hooking Up at the Big House”) reported, “Faced with severe overcrowding and limited budgets for rehabilitation and counseling, more and more prison officials are using TV to keep inmates quiet.” Joe Corpier, a convicted murderer, was quoted, “If there’s a good movie, it’s usually pretty quiet through the whole institution.””

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/1 ... house.html

TV and the Orienting Response
“The “hold on us” of TV technical events, according to Robert Kubey and Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s 2002 Scientific American article “Television Addiction Is No Mere Metaphor,” is due to our “orienting response” —our instinctive reaction to any sudden or novel stimulus. They report that:In 1986 Byron Reeves of Stanford University, Esther Thorson of the University of Missouri and their colleagues began to study whether the simple formal features of television—cuts, edits, zooms, pans, sudden noises—activate the orienting response, thereby keeping attention on the screen. By watching how brain waves were affected by formal features, the researchers concluded that these stylistic tricks can indeed trigger involuntary responses and “derive their attentional value through the evolutionary significance of detecting movement. . . . It is the form, not the content, of television that is unique.””

TV and Passivity
“Kubey and Csikszentmihalyi’s survey also revealed that: The sense of relaxation ends when the set is turned off, but the feelings of passivity and lowered alertness continue. Survey participants commonly reflect that television has somehow absorbed or sucked out their energy, leaving them depleted. They say they have more difficulty concentrating after viewing than before. In contrast, they rarely indicate such difficulty after reading.”

Dream Come True
“TV keeps us indoors, and it keeps us from mixing it up in real life. People who are watching TV are isolated from other people, from the natural world—even from their own thoughts and senses. TV creates isolation, and because it also reduces our awareness of our own feelings, when we start to feel lonely we are tempted to watch more so as to dull the ache of isolation. Television is a “dream come true” for an authoritarian society.”

JuniorMan

Re: How TV Pacifies Us and Subverts Democracy

Post by JuniorMan » Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 pm

The isolation created from TV is so true, and it also creates fear. I was raised in a TV fed household and that's how it was. "Don't go see them, they look like bad people!". When you turn the TV off and then watch it to analyze you will find so many stereotypical adverts of minorities that it's not even funny to bring up. Black people for example, get it the worst I think with the thug stereotypes you see everywhere.

Rose1

Post by Rose1 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Yes I agree with you. I felt a lot more fear when I was watching TV than I do now - not watching TV. It sometimes amazes me how many people there are out there living busy lives and not stuck in front of the TV - kind of like when I have heard people talk about giving up alcohol and they used to think that everyone drank a lot but then they find that that is not true. I am kind of seeing that now too... although a lot of people DO watch TV - there are quite a few who do not and who are involved in all kinds of community activities. I have only recently given up TV and so have not really put in place a lot of things yet but I trust that they will be there in time, when I am ready. I hate how the "fear" kept me inside for so long. A little fear is good but it became excessive and also I would have vivid dreams and do not have them anymore!

JuniorMan

Post by JuniorMan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:51 pm

With propaganda, they have created fake wars for years with the use of TV.

Seriously, 9/11 is the greatest proof of that. There are far more questions than answers regarding 9/11, but on the TV they forgot to tell you about the WTC 7 Tower, they forgot to tell you many many things, but they were just oh so sure box cutters living in caves did it. It is just like the movie 'Independence Day' in a way.

The mainstream media has kept us in the dark for years. We see THEIR side of it, not the other side. That's the problem with how they create stereotypes of Muslims and middle eastern people. We have never been over there to know how those people truly are, instead it's the TV telling us what they want us to believe about it.

Rose1

Post by Rose1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Yes, I remember getting caught up in documentaries about 9/11 and spending hours and days and weeks on that. A lot of unanswered questions. I had an interesting experience lately regarding that... since I gave up the TV I have been taking online free-courses (MOOC's) through Coursera and although I have taken a lot of the courses... and they have been interesting, there was one course that really got my attention... I thought the professor was amazing and incredibly insightful, then I did a bit of research on him and discovered that he was the lead on the 9/11 Commission report! I do not quite know what to make of that. He was a fantastic professor online but then I read some interesting things about his thesis being something about manipulating the media... interesting...